- Attend the hearing to show to your support. Each person there sends a strong statement as to how crucial this resolution is to Ohioans.
- Submit testimony. (See below.)
- Submit testimony and testify.
- Spread the word and encourage others to attend and/or submit testimony.
When? Wednesday, October 9, 3:15 PM
Where? The Ohio Statehouse, North Hearing Room
What? Proponent testimony for SR 211 (https://www.legislature.ohio.gov/legislation/legislation-summary?id=GA133-SR-221). Check out the "We the People" resolution.
- 1-3 minutes
- Get to the point
- Consider a personal story. How have corporations affected you, your family, or your community?
b) Possible talking points/thoughts to consider:
- Powerful corporation are influencing polices that affect every aspect of our lives.
- Amending the Constitution to declare that corporations are not people and money is not speech is extremely popular among Ohioans of all political persuasions.
- The influence of corporations on our public policies is not only unpopular, but subversive and undemocratic
- The vast majority of Ohioans want, for example, good schools, clean water, sensible gun laws, ethical immigration policies, and healthcare for all. Nevertheless, corporations have gained the upper hand due to Supreme Court rulings that have over time ceded to them our constitutions rights. With the focus on the bottom-line of corporate profits, our concerns are ignored.
- Ohio representatives have an obligation to represent the will of the people, not the interest of powerful corporations.
- Vote for SR 221.
c) Email your testimony Senator Nikie Antonio's aide, Taylor Phillips by noon on Tuesday, October 8